Tuesday, September 08, 2020

the ottawa small press book fair : home edition #18 : Alberte Villeneuve,


A retired teacher, Alberte Villeneuve saw her first novel published in 1990 at the Méridien Publisher in Montreal. This was followed by a second edition and the English version The Neglected Garden at Baico in 2005. Une Prière pour Hélène was launched in 2007, followed by a children’s book about bullying Le génie de Jessie in 2011 and the English version A Genie for Jessie in 2013.

From the beginning, Alberte was invited to do presentations on various subjects ranging from mental and physical abuse of women, resilience, mental health and grandparenting, along with numerous radio and television interviews. In 2009 she started writing articles for True North Perspective and Canaan Connexion under the theme “Bits and Bites of Everyday life,” followed by “Seeds for Thought” for Perspectives Vanier. A first collection of her articles was published under the title “Muses from the Blue Shack” in 2017. Alberte continues to write her popular column “Seeds for Thought.”

Q: Tell me about your writing.

A: I started writing after winning twice at “Le concours de français” when I was in Grade 8. One of the prizes was Anne Frank’s Diary. After reading it, I started a diary of my own which I hid in my underwear drawer until my mom found it. I then transferred it to a suitcase I had won at the first “concours” and I hid the key. Writing was a very important outlet for my emotional well-being since in those days feelings had to be kept inside.

I have always loved nature so my writings were a mix of feelings, events and nature. My first text was published in high school and had been written during an exam. Later on, I became a teacher and married at age 19, not knowing my husband was bipolar. Needless to say our life swayed with his moods, from manic intervals to severe depression. It lasted ten years. I couldn’t take it anymore. After taking me through the wringer, he committed suicide after emptying our savings account. When, seven years later I learned where that money had gone, I felt totally betrayed and decided to start writing in order to release all the pain. When “Le jardin négligé”, my first novel, was finished, I sent it to a contest at “Le Salon du livre de l’Outaouais”. To my surprise and sheer delight, it won first prize for adult unpublished novel! It gave me the chance to attract one of the biggest Montréal publishers of the time: “Le Méridien”. The launch was held at the 1990 Salon du livre in Hull and was the biggest one of that year’s edition. This was the start of my writing career and the start of interviews, conferences and attendance to well-established book fairs in Ottawa, Hull, Sudbury, Montréal, Québec, Toronto, Eastern Ontario and more.

I decided to write another French novel “Une Prière pour Hélène” published in 2007 and translate “Le jardin négligé” to “The Neglected Garden”, published in 2005. The launches took place in Orléans and since part of “The Neglected Garden” unfolds in Barbados, the High Commissioner of Barbados attended the launch and invited me to a book signing, interviews and a conference in Barbados. It was totally amazing!

*** I don’t consider myself a poet but two of my poems were published, one of them the result of a contest, was posted in the Gatineau buses so people could read them and enjoy. Wonderful surprise!

Later, I published two books on bullying for children, grades 4 to 6, “Le génie de Jessie” & “A Genie for Jessie”. I did several presentations in schools and to children’s groups in libraries.

Since I wrote articles since 2009 for True North Perspective and Canaan Connexion and later for Perspectives Vanier (which is still ongoing), I decided to publish a first compilation of my favourite articles in “Muses from the Blue Shack”. I plan to have a second compilation at one point as I have enough for five books. You can check my activities and the articles on my website: www.albertevilleneuve.ca

As it is important to socialize with people who have the same interests, during those years, I joined l’AAOF, Ottawa Independent Writers and Arts Ottawa East. I was a member of the board for the three groups for a while, at different times. I am still a member of l’AAOF to this day.

I had stories published in different French and English anthologies, “Ottawa Gems” and “Ottawa One Five O” being two of them.

Q: How many times have you exhibited at the Ottawa Small Press fair? How do you find the experience?

A: I have exhibited at the book fair from its beginning and I enjoyed the experience because you always meet new people. I always go with my friend June Coxon who is also a writer and we spend quality time at the fair.

Q: Would you have made something specific for this spring’s fair? Are you still doing that? How does the lack of spring fair this year affect how and what you might be producing?

A: I wouldn’t have had something new for this fair although I found a story I had started years ago and forgot called “L’homme engagé de mon père” (My father’s hired man) which is basically my story of being born and raised on the farm. But I must admit that the present situation: the lack of literary venues and the sad worldwide tragedies made me lose interest for now.

Q: How are you, as a literary writer, approaching the myriad shut-downs? Is everything on hold, or are you pushing against the silences, whether in similar or alternate ways than you might have prior to the pandemic? How are you getting your publications out into the world?

A: I am keeping in touch with some of my writer friends. That is always positive and today I posted an event on the Byward Market from last year at this time on my Facebook page. A bit of nostalgia! But I am still writing articles for Perspectives Vanier and my readers are telling me they are very uplifting as I am a naturally positive person. It’s always wonderful to get feedback from readers who appreciate my writing!

Q: Have you done anything in terms of online or virtual launches since the pandemic began? Have you attended or participated in others? How are you attempting to connect to the larger community?

A: Since I am not very tech savvy, I must say “No” to online or virtual use. I have seen one or two online launches and I follow some of my writer friends on Facebook.

Q: What is your most recent book? How might folk be able to order copies?

A: My last book is “Muses from the Blue Shack”. It’s available through my website. I haven’t checked if there are still some in certain stores. As you know, they only keep your book for about six months.

Q: What are you working on now?

A: My next article will be called “There’s Never Been a Better Time to Write your Story”. Since many people are isolated or working at home, this is the perfect time to do some writing… and I, myself, will be picking up the abandoned story of “My Father’s Hired Hand.”

2 comments:

Claire said...

J'apprends à mieux te connaître. J'ai beaucoup d'admiration pour toi. Claire S.

Unknown said...

Sincère remerciement, Claire!