Monday, February 01, 2016

We Who Are About To Die : Billy Mavreas

Billy Mavreas is an artist and writer who lives and works in Montreal, Quebec. He usually makes zines, collage, comics and visual poetry.

Where are you now?
Right now I'm in my office behind the counter of my shop, Monastiraki, in the Mile-end neighbourhood in Montreal. It’s January, it’s cold and I’m listening to instrumental James Brown.

What are you reading?
I’m reading the Dover edition of The Collected Books of Charles Fort. It is staggering in it’s scope and turns of phrase, let alone it’s ideas and thousand-fold stories.

What have you discovered lately?
More of a rediscovery. That I need to honour my tendencies towards spirituality. That I need to maintain a regular meditation practice.

Where do you write?
My writing consists of drawing and collage and photoshopping and, well, writing. If it's text or photoshop I write in said office (see above) but also scribble on the couch at home. I draw on the couch also but collage and draw at the counter of my shop. I talk to myself everywhere I go.

What are you working on?
Right now I’m adding pages to a six panel per page minimalist stream of consciousness graphic novel project. I’m 120 pages in or so and will aim for at least a hundred more. This may turn into a web comic or a series of zines or if it’s tight into a book.

Have you anything forthcoming?
Not more than usual. There is always a trickling of small chap books, self-published, that I work on. Tiny editions of ten or twenty, although I did complete a colouring book just before the holidays last year. That was fun. I’d like to consider a series of art booklets later on this year or a solid kids picture book but I’ll see how my process unfolds. Things veer sideways easily enough without my cajoling.

What would you rather be doing?
I’d rather be securing a large enough bright room for myself to act as home studio, study and temple. A place with a door that closes, a window overlooking greenery, all my books and art and collections in the same place to inspire me to keep doing what I do.

from New Abstract Blues

No comments: