Wednesday, February 01, 2017

We Who Are About To Die : Maria Damon

Maria Damon teaches in the Humanities and Media Studies Department at Pratt Institute of Art. She is the author of two books of poetry scholarship (Dark End of the Street: Margins in American Vanguard Poetry and Postliterary "America": From Bagel Shop Jazz to Micropoetries); co-author (with mIEKAL aND and Jukka-Pekka Kervinen) of several books of poetry; author of two chapbooks of cross-stitch visual poetry; and co-editor (with Ira Livingston) of Poetry and Cultural Studies: A Reader.

Where are you now?
Lying on my bed. When I first got this email, I was lying on the bed in rm 402 of the Madison Hotel, Morristown NJ.

What are you reading?
I am reading this email, and my own responses as they appear on the screen. In rl i've been reading Anne Waldman's Voice's Daughter of a Heart Yet to Be Born for a paper I delivered yesterday. Otherwise I've been slowly working my way through Nathaniel Mackey's beautiful Black Ocean book, Lay Ghost.

What have you discovered lately?
Diced fennel in turkey soup tastes really good, surprisingly.

Where do you write?
Usually at cafés.

What are you working on?
A collaboration with Alan Sondheim and Adeena Karasick, both of whom I've collaborated with individually.

Have you anything forthcoming?
An essay on "Micropoetries" with the online Oxford Research Encyclopedia.

What would you rather be doing?
Eating a great meal with dear friends.

No comments: